Tuesday, May 13, 2008

1st visit to the hospital...

Well we had our first visit to the hospital yesterday evening...well I was already there, because I was working, but Jeremy came and met me up there. It all started when I went to take my blood pressure to prove to my mother that it is fine and there is nothing to worry about :). Well needless to say it wasn't so great when we took it. It keeps fluctuating between decent numbers and high numbers. My friend Jessica and I kept taking it throughout our shift, hoping that it was just a fluke, and we kept coming up with high numbers. So I paged my doctor and talked with him for a while, and he decided he wanted me to check in and run some labs. Most of the labs came back normal, and I am now collecting a 24 hour urine to measure the amount of protein in my urine (which is a sign of pre-ecclampsia). So we will get those results back tomorrow probably. This is probably the beginning of pregnancy induced hypertension (or pre-ecclampsia), with my blood pressures fluctuating the way that they are, but we will see! I am probably done working now. My doctor was going to talk to me about that today at my appointment, but I am thinking I probably won't be going back. We will see what he has to say today. Most likely if my 24 hour urine comes back showing severe levels of protein in my urine (which I seriously doubt it will), then they will induce me right away. If it comes back showing mild amounts of protein, they will probably induce me in the near future (like within the next week). And hopefully it comes back showing there is no protein! I will keep everyone updated. Yesterday evening while I was there they checked my cervix. I am now 3 centimeters and 70% effaced! I was contracting quite a bit last night, but they have faded away some today. I am thinking it probably will not be too much longer! That means we have a lot of work to do around here before this baby comes!

**Quick side note, about having the best mother's day ever...I was kind of panicking about not having a car seat or stroller yet this past weekend, and the baby being so close! I was at work from 11-7 during the day on Sunday and had a very chaotic day. When I left at seven I pretty much just wanted to cry and go home. Well I got out to the car and there is a car seat installed in my back seat, with flower and a card in the car seat. That definitely got the water works going. I got home and Jeremy had bought our car seat/stroller combo and had it all out and put together. He took me out the car and showed me exactly how to use it all, and then took me inside and showed me how to work everything on the stroller. I am so lucky...

5 comments:

Julie said...

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
--Elizabeth Stone

Sounds like it will be soon...JT

Unknown said...

What a great husband! so exciting...you are almost there! Hillary will be so disappointed that she will not be here!! Hopefully you and the baby and everything comes back healthy...I didn't exactly understand what you were saying...but I think I got the jist of it!!! :)

Anonymous said...

jeremy. rocks. what a GREAT way to really honor you on mother's day! first of all, he notices that you're anxious about something. then he takes care of it. then he presents it well. then he takes care of YOU getting to know it.

awesome.

and as for you, my friend kellie..... TREASURE the next 3-14 days. There's nothing quite so surreal as having days off and knowing that any second, everything will change. So watch movies. And lay down. And eat stuff. And watch more movies. :)

Becky said...

Kellie, we will be praying for you, Jeremy, and baby over the next few days/weeks. And, hoping for a
quick, safe delivery!
Becky Bolinger

~Denise~ said...

Hoping the bp was just a blip, and nothing more. Best wishes to you and your family!!

Denise

PS. I found your blog on a google alert for preeclampsia. I'm a 2x pre-e mom myself.