Friday, December 05, 2008

to take to the nursery or not

This evening Jeremy, Liam and I all went to church together. It was so nice to have Jeremy along. We went for the Christmas program to watch Rosann and Amber singing in the choirs. So we had Liam in the service with us for about 20 minutes, and then he started getting antsy so I decided (after WEEKS of deliberation) to put him in the nursery. You would think this would not have to be a very big deal, but it is to me I guess. I have been pretty nervous to leave him in there...dumb I know. But I went ahead and did it. I took him to the nursery. Once I went back to the sanctuary I pretty much just sat there worrying about what I didn't tell them he might need. So during intermission I went to check on him, and he was doing fine :). But about 5 minutes into the second half of the program our number (#3) showed up on the little ticker indicating that that baby is unconsolable and that baby's parents should come and get him :). The older lady taking care of him (he was the only baby in the infant part of the nursery) said she tried to lay him down for a nap like I had told her to, but he just cried. The other mom in the nursery whispered to me..she just doesn't like to let them cry :) haha. I decided part of the reason he could have been crying (and yes he was tired) was because he had spit up ALL over the front of his shirt, soaking it...and still all over his mouth. No one had bothered to change it. Even though I left the diaper bag and told them there were plenty of extra shirts and burp cloths in the bag. So....all of that to say, I was a little disappointed. And probably because I am just a tad over protective of my little boy, but unfortunately now I am back to square one on the whole issue of leaving him in the nursery.

9 comments:

Hillary said...

its ok to be an over protective mom. next time you can just bring him to me and i'll watch him, as long as he doesn't start crying, because then i will have to pass him off :]

the fredin's said...

yeah see...that doesn't work. you have to keep him...even through the crying :) you can do it.

grandmabutch said...

Now, a word of advice from your old grandma----- Just relax. those ladies are doing their best and a little spit up never hurt a child (even though it hurts the parents). Try again if there is not too manny cold and stuff going around. See I have some conditions for that also.
Love you all three. You are great parents.
Grandma butch

Erika said...

Bring him to the Wigglers. I will take good care of him. :) Believe me you are not the only really nervous mom. Our moms usually have a harder time than their kids. Give it another try. You should be able enjoy the church service for yourself.

Erika said...

Oh yeah. I LOVE that family picture. It is great. You all look perfect.

Marcia said...

Great family picture! Trying to picture that boy unconsulable!
Marcia

the fredin's said...

ahhh...Erika I wish we could bring him to you! You would take GREAT care of him! I'm sure we will take him back because if I don't take him there, then I am never in the church service.

Melanie-Pearl said...

Baby-Mason was actually the reason I did not go to church for a couple of years! There's never been a bigger baby who WAILED when his momma left him. Whenver I got determined to try again, I'd walk away only to obsessively worry (and miss whatever the excellent then-pastor was talking about), listen to him wailing until the nursery staff (who really tried) finally gave up.

After repeatedly deciding the horror wasn't worth it, I ended up at home with both kids (while Cody-the-Holy-one went and played worship) "playing" Sunday School. I look back on that time as something that was really sweet and just for the three of us.

...and now the kids won't let us skip church!

Love you, love your heart! You are right to obsess about your baby and whatever you both need.

Anonymous said...

As a kids pastor, I had the worst fear about leaving owen in the nursery...i would only let rachel take him in there when the volunteers were trustworthy...it was hard to leave him in the nursery! Just a few months ago, he moved up to a big boy class - 2 year old class. I was nervous for him, but he is transitioning fine.

Good luck in the transition - but it is such a blessing when he warms up to it!