Monday, November 17, 2008

my new adventure

Making baby food. Yep, today I MADE a whole batch of baby food for Liam. I never really had the desire to try to do this, but after realizing what large quantities are made with just 3 bananas, and 1 squash, I decided I should try it because it will save a lot of money. So I bought some fresh fruits and vegetables at the store yesterday, and spend about 4 hours in the kitchen this afternoon, making 4 ice cube trays full of baby food. (Next time it will not take near as long, since I will know what I am doing.) It is actually pretty handy. You freeze the food in ice cube trays and then you can pop out the food blocks and put them in freezer bags, and then freeze some more. As you will see from the video below, Liam was a little less than thrilled with the first couple of foods he tried. It must taste a lot different than the ones you buy in the store. I think it will take him a while to get used to it. Overall, the afternoon was a success, despite me spilling two pureed avocados all over the kitchen floor. Oh, and come to find out, my blender has a "baby food" setting on it...this makes things much easier :). So far I have made butternut squash, acorn squash, green beans, avocados, bananas, and apple sauce. This great website give tells you step by step how to start making baby food. We will see if I keep this up, but it was actually kind of fun to do this today.

So this video is of Liam playing with a sippy cup for the first time. I was actually very impressed that he knew exactly what to do with it. This evening he actually drank about 2 ounces of diluted apple juice out of a sippy cup. Yep...he is growing up way too fast. After the sippy cup video is the disgusted look on his face as he tried the avocado for the first time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you! another great thing to make ahead is cream of wheat. i just made a bunch this morning, then i just heat it up and add a little milk or formula to it and she eats it right up. you inspired me to make some more sweet potatoes today!

Melanie-Pearl said...

oh pumpkin!!!!

Melisa said...

I love your fam! The sarcasm then the silence! HA!
One day he will grow to love avacado as I have! Yummy!

Unknown said...

tag. check out my blog for tag game... if you don't play you have to sniff a fart.

Erika said...

Very domestic of you.

Anonymous said...

haha... oh, uncle ken. that's hilarious! i wonder if liam really did not like the avacado... i think that he was just making a face at his daddy.