Tuesday, August 28, 2007

...a place in my heart...

...where we have seen 10,183 patients so far
...where 11,784 locals have learned how to better take care of their health
...where God has provided 31,921 prescriptions to be filled
...where 1,571 surgeries have been preformed
...and most importantly, where 859 people have committed themselves to Christ

This is where I will be from January 26th-February 9th of the coming year...The Dominican Republic. And I can't wait, I feel like God has been calling me to go back over this past year. Three years ago, I went on this same medical missions trip, and now I have been given the opportunity to go again. God has been so faithful. Now I just need to keep putting my trust in Him that everything regarding the details of the trip will be worked out!

The statistics above are provided by Medical Ministries International. They are an amazing organization that sends teams all over the world. For 2 weeks at a time, these teams, provide necessary medical services to countries in need, and share the good news of Christ. I will be going to Monte Plata, Dominican Republic. This is a town of about 14,000, north-east of the capitol of Santo Domingo. Our team consists of a medical and a surgical team. The medical team, sets up a clinic in Monte Plata, and sees patients every day for two weeks. The surgical team (which I will be a part of), goes approximately 20 kilometers, every day, to the town of Bayaguana and operates in their OR's, providing free surgical services. The hearts of these people in this country are amazing. They are so un-believably grateful, for the little that we can give to them. I am really excited to be going back, and just wanted to share with you all. I decided to just answer God's calling on my heart to do this, that has been there for a while. I might not end up knowing many who are going (which would be a big challenge for me), but I am trusting that God has it all worked out. And as for the money...it will come...it always does :). Some of you, might be receiving a letter for support within the next couple months. And because of my husbands amazing support I will be going. I was still very hesitant about a week ago, but he said, that I am going, so I guess I am going!! I can't wait to see what God is going to do this year. I want to share a few pictures of mine from three years ago.

Dominican baby that was treated in the clinic (sorry I couldn't keep
the picture rotated the right way)

The houses in the town we stay in.

Jesus is the light of the world. John 8:12

Local boy.

Me bagging a patient during surgery. (Sorry I couldn't keep this one rotated either.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's fun to see you get more and more excited about this everyday. i really wish i could go with you so i could watch you work (i dont think your patients now would appreciate that). anyway, im sooo proud of you for doing this so faithfully. your sleeping now so ill see you in a couple of minutes.

love you,
jeremy

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, Kellie. What a wonderful gift you are ... and you bring to those in need of medical attention. Good for you!
By the way, your tattoo is even more beautiful on your beautiful shoulder than the pics portray. And you ride a jet ski like you've been on one your entire life.
It was wonderful seeing you and Jeremy again. Plus, we got to meet Emmett and see your first home ... what a treat!
Love,
Aunt K

Erika said...

I am very happy for you. Jesus' good news is infectious and addicting so I guess I can see why you want to go back. May God bless your trip and the patients you see

aunteem said...

praying for all the details, God knows all you need. for jeremy too.....i love him even more since i read his comment! :)

Anonymous said...

Kellie,
What a great experience again for you!!! God is so good and He will take care of you while Jeremy and you are apart. We will be praying for you and Jeremy, too!! Jeremy you are so gracious and precious (to Grandma!!!) to let you bride go for a while. Love you both dearly.
Grandma Butch